Copper or Brass to Steel Brazing Description
Because the thermal conductivity of steel is lower than that of copper, and steel is more heat-resistant than copper or brass, if a single heating is used, it is easy to cause copper or flux to overheat.
Therefore, our automatic brazing machine generally uses two heating times. First, the steel is pre-heated once, so that it is the most perfect state when it is officially brazed.
For example, when welding リキッドラインフィルタードライヤー series products, we use the preheating scheme a lot.
Copper or Brass to Steel Product Series
- オムロン センサースイッチ
Copper or Brass to Steel Brazing Guide
In brazing, two metals are united. When brazing steel, you can use metals with a low melting point like copper or alloys or copper in which brass is number one.
If you are trying to understand copper or brass to steel brazing, there are some questions you may want answers to that are given below.
1. What Does Copper or Brass to Steel Brazing Means?
Brazing is the method of joining two metals.in the copper or brass to steel brazing, the metals of copper or brass are melted to join the steel metal.
The method of copper or brass to steel brazing is a little more complex than normal brazing because steel is much stronger than copper or brass. Copper is easy to bend with the help of heat, but in this type of brazing, a lot more heat is required.
Figure 1 Copper or Brass to Steel Brazing
2. Why Do You Need Copper or Brass for Steel Brazing?
In refrigeration and plumbing, we use copper or brass for steel brazing. We can use metals other than steel in plumbing, but steel is used primarily.
In the refrigeration industry, stronger joints are needed; therefore, brazing is used to join two metals to strengthen the joints. In steel, we use copper or brass as filler metal.
In the refrigeration industry, many valves are joined through brazing to make more robust valves that are significant for properly cooling a refrigerator. If the valves are weak, the cooling refrigerant gets leaked, and cooling is hindered.
3. What are the Steps in Copper or Brass to Steel Brazing?
In brazing, the copper or brass to steel, copper is melted to put in the joint of steel and generate a bond between the metals. Some steps have to be followed in copper or brass to steel brazing.
- When you have to braze the metals like steel, the first step is to clean them and mark the point where you want brazing to do its action. If the metal is not clean, it has dirt, oil, or sand. It will stop the appropriate brazing method.
- Before brazing, the metal has to be prepared, the part where the flux has to be applied, and a coating is done to prevent oxidation. After this step, the metal is brazed with copper or brass to join it and form the conjoining bond.
- The base metal has to be heated twice in the copper or brass to steel brazing machine. Because copper or brass melts before steel, it is used as a filling metal.
- After brazing has been done, the joints are cleaned, and, if needed, it is polished also.
図 2 銅または真鍮と鋼のろう付けプロセス
4. What Are the Gasses Used for Copper or Brass to Steel Brazing?
In cases of steel brazing, high-temperature flux is needed; for that, the gas used is called oxy-acetylene. This gas has a very high temperature of 3300C (5972F).
To create this gas, two gasses are mixed: oxygen and acetylene. After mixing, oxy-acetylene gas is used for brazing copper or brass to steel.
Oxy-acetylene is essential because steel has a higher melting point than copper or brass. The low thermal conductivity of steel makes the user heat the steel twice to get it brazed efficiently.
5. What Are the Metals You Can Use to Braze in Steel?
You can use other metals for brazing steel too, and the metals most commonly used to braze steel are below:
6. What Is the Role of Flux in Copper or Brass to Steel Brazing?
Flux is used in brazing as an agent. There are different types of flux materials used like borax-based, silver flux, alkaline flux, magnesium, or aluminum flux.
The flux used in the brazing of copper or brass to steel has to withhold the high temperature. Flux is primarily used in the brazing industry for cleaning, purifying, or flowing metals in brazing.
Brazing flux helps the alloy melt and fill the gap. This way, the gaps are filled, and the steel is brazed with copper by infusing it properly.
Figure 3 Copper or Brass to Steel Brazing Machine
7. Does Copper Cause Corrosion in Steel after Brazing?
Steel, when brazed with copper, becomes a little resistant to corrosion. The copper metal gives its electrons more efficiently, and therefore the metal of steel becomes corrosion free.
8. What Are the Advantages of Copper or Brass to Steel Brazing?
The benefit of using copper or brass to steel brazing is that you can use it with automated equipment. It makes the user maintain good brazing possible and provides efficiency in the process.
Another advantage is the protection against corrosion. When steel is joined with copper or brass properly, it reduces the chances of decay by binding the free electrons that oxidize to form corrosion.
The third advantage is that when brazing is used to combine metals of steel and copper or brass metals, the joint formed is stronger than the welded joint.
9. What Are the Products Made from Copper or Brass to Steel Brazing?
The products used in the refrigeration industry are made of copper or steel brazing. These are listed below:
- Refrigerant valve
- Refrigerant service valve
10. Where to Find the Best Copper or Brass to Steel Brazing Machine?
If you are considering buying a brazing copper or steel machine, you can find the manufacturer online. It is easy to find the manufacturers online but finding the right one is most important.
There are manufacturers like dodo machines that make the machines that have the best features. The dodo machine offers a touch screen and preheating function, and you can adjust the feeding time.
The machines from dodo machine offer efficiency and provide quality. Also, you can check the cost to see that they offer quite a low price for their service.
You can ask the manufacturers to customize the machine according to your desire. Many makers of brazing machines can customize your order.